February 5, 2018
Congratulations to WHS student Jarrett Sniezko for earning a spot in the Southern Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. He will tour the country this summer, and compete all over the US with finals ending in Pennsylvania on September 2, 2018. Jarrett is the second Walton High band student to be offered a contract this year, and this is quite possibly the first time in school history that two students have made the Drum Corps in the same year. In addition, Jarrett is the 5th student in 20 years to be chosen for the Corps.
Submitted by Chad Robbins and Christy English
After many months of collaboration and training with the Walton County Sheriff’s Office, Freeport High School has been approved by the Florida Department of Health as a 911 Public Safety Telecommunication Program Training site. This would not have been possible if not for the hard work of Jamey Goddin, FHS Criminal Justice Operations Instructor and Rebecca Bryan, WCSO Communications Training Coordinator. Special thanks to Sgt. Jason Hall, WCSO Communications Manager, Captain Michael Gainey, WCSO Support Services Bureau Chief, Crystal Appel, WCSD Coordinator of instructional Support Services and Donna Honish, WCSD CTE Career Counselor for their commitment to support attainment of this opportunity for students at Freeport High School.
Sheriff Michael Adkinson has whole-heartedly supported this effort not only by providing staff to work with Walton School District but by also donating $20,000 to FHS for the purchase of the 911 curriculum and simulation equipment. Sheriff Adkinson remarked during the awarding of the donation that “he loved being able to support his community and turn bad money into good as the donation came from drug money that was seized by the Sheriff's department”.
Superintendent A. Russell Hughes also showed support of this educational opportunity at Freeport High School by stating, “I am ecstatic of this addition to our repertoire of programs for our students at FHS. This is a major milestone in staying relevant for our community and the workforce needs thereof. Great Job Mr. Hope and every member of the Bulldog Team of leaders that always find a way to make things happen for children! This epitomizes every component of EPIC and could not be possible otherwise. Keep up the great work!”
FHS students are currently being educated on proper 911 Public Safety Telecommunications background and procedures. Instructor, Jamey Goddin, is preparing FHS students to take the 911 Public Safety Telecommunicator industry certification exam from the Florida Department of Health. This industry certification would assist students in attaining gainful employment after graduation, and eligible students may qualify for 3 hours of college credit in Criminal Justice Technology at a Florida College based on earning this industry certification.
Congratulations Freeport High School!
Sheriff Michael Adkinson awarding $20,000 donation to Superintendent A. Russell Hughes and Kim Kirby, WCSD School Board Chair, during a school board meeting.
Submitted by Donna Honish.
February 2, 2018
With the help of Coach Laurie Gilbert and Mrs. Samie Wright, fifth grade students performed for the rest of the school to kick off Homecoming 2018. The students were able to show off their dribbling and dancing skills. Also, the class of 2025 included a special message for the class of 2018. The fifth graders did an amazing job and were very entertaining!
PHS' class of 2018 started their last Homecoming week with a moment to celebrate their time together in a huddle in the middle of the gym floor.
Alex Bradshaw (8th), Jeffrey Wilson (7th), and Addison Hunt (6th) competed in Paxton's annual Project Runway Competition as part of the Homecoming celebrations.
Submitted by Kalli McMillan.
February 2, 2018
MSE 5th graders have been studying weather and climate zones and had the opportunity to connect via FaceTime with a Meteorologist for NBC in North Dakota. The students had great questions to ask regarding weather forecasting and careers in meteorology. Submitted by Krisy Spence.
February 2, 2018
Science Night was EPIC at Mossy Head School! Families and teachers enjoyed engaging activities during Mossy Head School's annual Science Night which had another big turn out this year. Students and their families were able to explore and learn from a variety of hands-on experiments and experience and learn about space in The Planetarium all provided by Emerald Coast Science Center. They were able to experience more hands on learning during presentations by Nonie's Ark. Submitted by Allie Blanton.
February 1, 2018
Mossy Head School's First Lego League Robotics teams, Mechanical Mustangs and Mustang Movers, competed in a robotics tournament on Saturday, January 27. The teams were awarded the Judges' Award. The judges were impressed by the teams' growth since their last competition in November. Submitted by Elizabeth Gaither.
February 1, 2018
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are the nation’s longest-running and most prestigious recognition program for creative teens in grades 7–12.
This year, students submitted more than 330,000 works of visual art and writing to the Scholastic Awards; more than 90,000 works were recognized at the regional level and celebrated in local exhibitions and ceremonies. The top art and writing at the regional level were moved onto the national stage, where more than 2,700 works earned National Medals. National Medalists and their educators will be celebrated at the National Ceremony at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
National Medalist art and writing is displayed during the annual Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition in New York City. Last year the exhibit was on display at the Sheila C. Johnson Design Center at Parsons School of Design at The New School and at Pratt Institute’s Pratt Manhattan Gallery. We also hold ongoing exhibitions at the U.S. Department of Education and the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities through the Art.Write.Now.DC program. In addition, selections from the Art.Write.Now. National Exhibition are displayed in cities across the U.S. as part of the Art.Write.Now.Tour.
Here are the SWHS Southeast Region Awards for Scholastics:
Scholastics Art and Writing Awards 2018
South Walton HS
Teacher: V. Moreira Komando
- Jenna Adelman - Silver Key Art Portfolio Asian Pop Culture Foods South Walton High School
- Michelle Couvillon - Honorable Mention Photography My Eyes South Walton High School
- Summer Edwards - Honorable Mention Photography Geode South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Gold Key Photography Speed of light South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Shine South Walton High School
- Lexi Hall - Silver Key Photography Bug Out South Walton High School
- Meg Kirwan - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration The Storm South Walton High School
- Frida Licona - Honorable Mention Photography Light and Lines South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Painting Comfort #1 South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Digital Art Fracture South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Gold Key Photography Drama South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Hawk Girl South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Honorable Mention Photography Youth South Walton High School
- Jielle Paul - Silver Key Photography Thor South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Car Tire Red South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Raw Engine South Walton High School
- Kyzer Schilling - Honorable Mention Photography Red Truck South Walton High School
- Jennings Seton - Silver Key Photography Bloom South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Starry Starry Night South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Outer Bulge South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Honorable Mention Photography Dividing Line South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Blue South Walton High School
- Slater Silk - Silver Key Photography Yellow South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Art Portfolio Self Portrait South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Red Yellow Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Honorable Mention Drawing & Illustration My Flower with Hair South Walton High School
- My Huyen Truong - Silver Key Drawing & Illustration My Deer Head South Walton High School
- Sofia Papagni - Silver Key Poetry Campfires, Caskets, Hurricanes South Walton High School
Congratulations to these creative young students and their exceptional artistic and literary talent!!!
Michelle Architectural Building
Lexie Hall Scholastics
Jielle Paul - Dramatic Light
Submitted by Vivian Komando
February 1, 2018
Teacher’s, Parents and students enjoyed our WISE Center Pre-K first annual Reading night. Children were able to make books to take home and read with their family members. We thank them for all their support. Submitted by Debbie McBroom.
February 1, 2018
WDE first and second grades enjoyed a performance on January 31st by the Atlantic Coastal Theater. The Atlantic Coastal Theater is an acclaimed professional touring theatre company based in Orlando, FL. Each year, the Atlantic Coastal Theatre performs hundreds of shows for students across the U.S.A. WDE students enjoyed watching the show entitled FLIGHT! Mankind has always been fascinated with the skies, the stars, and reaching new heights. FLIGHT! combines creative staging, original music, & audience participation into a theatrical production that explores the stories of flight including the Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart, The US/Soviet "Space Race", & NASA's many accomplishments. Students were encouraged to think about the future of flight, and perhaps be inspired to become pioneers reaching for the stars themselves. Submitted by Jessica Dawkins.