March 3, 2020
1st Place - Blake Wood
2nd Place - Graysen Usher
3rd Place - Arielle Del Castillo
March 2, 2020
The Walton County School District is staying up-to-date on COVID-19 through consistent communication with the Florida Department of Education and the Walton County Health Department. The health and safety of our students is always our number one priority. As always during the flu season, our schools are working hard to keep all school surfaces and furniture clean and sanitary, but we have extended our efforts in order to be as proactive as possible for our students and employees.
All of us can also help prevent the spread of germs. Reminders can include:
* Wash hands often with soap and water
* Use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
* Appropriately cover coughs and sneezes
* Keep hands away from eyes, nose, and mouth
* Stay home if you are sick
The number and websites below provide additional information:
* State Hotline for Florida - 866-779-6121
* Florida Department of Health - floridahealth.gov
* Walton Department of Health - walton.floridahealth.gov
* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
February 29, 2020
February 29, 2020
Congratulations to WHS senior Makayla Hooks on being nominated to the U.S. Military Academy (West Point) and receiving a $20,000 scholarship from Mary Baldwin University!
View Congressman Matt Gaetz's presentation of the 2020 service academy nominations at the link below. (Makayla's announcement is at approximately 13:40.)
February 28, 2020
In recognition of Black History Month, Mrs. Smigielski's fifth grade students studied the Underground Railroad and read a book about “Freedom Quilts" which contained secret maps used by African slaves to reach freedom. Using hidden symbols and messages, students designed “quilts” that depicted a route from our school to the lakeyard. First, they created a map, then translated their map to a paper quilt, and shared their quilts with the class. Students thoroughly enjoyed this project and gained a greater appreciation for the contributions of African Americans in history.